Glossary of Studio Neologi(ci)sms
- Zimmer Frame – Writing in a style entirely influenced by Hans Zimmer
- Pain Threshold – When you realize you’ve been carefully adjusting a compressor on the wrong track
- Undo – The Hindu God of Editing Forgiveness
- Cardioid Attack – Almost dropping an expensive microphone
- Shyverb – using too much reverb on your own vocals (aka shy/wet mix)
- Presettlement – Valiantly building a sound you are imagining and then compromising with a preset.
- Green Piece – When you just use Logic’s default region colours.
- Refinalising – the art of renaming a ‘Final Bounce Complete DONE_[fixed] MASTER.aif’ audio file
- Enoyance – a hung MIDI note
- Zoomba – The constant readjustment of zoom values
- MIDIval – The ancient reedy-ness of insensitive MIDI files
- DAWk – Someone who espouses the merits of one platform over another
- Portamental – Sibelius’s crazy glisses
- Missed take – Not recording the perfect performance
- Ex-file – A file bounced to a random folder which you are mysteriously unable to locate.
Phantom power- Disappearing kettle leads.
Q-jumping – Flitting either side of the frequency you need
Pandemonium – A mix with ridiculously complicated imaging
Rampage – working with a flagrant waste of computer resources
C4getting -Having to look up the MIDI note name for Middle C
Batchelor Pad – When the fucking keypad interface in Sibelius is lost somewhere on its own
ABBA – When you mix up which track you are listening to
Cry-cycle – The irritation caused when the playhead jumps to the beginning of the cycle
Hands Solo – Frantically scrolling around the screen looking for the soloed track
Sample rate: how good your sound library is.
Aux Return – the studio gremlins are back (credit A Pitts)
- Brick-wall limiter – picking a career that will keep you from home ownership. (credit J Willson)
- 50-cent – microtonal rapper
(Visited 75 times, 1 visits today)